SCCM 2012 R2 Upgrade Checklist/Guide
Friday (October 18th. 2013) Microsoft is releasing the next major release of System Center 2012 Configuration Manager the “R2” release. My guess is that many customers would like to install this update very fast, so I thought I’d make a simple overview guide to help with this process. This checklist/guide will explain the steps required to upgrade an existing SCCM 2012 SP1 Stand-alone primary site to SCCM 2012 R2.
- Verify that all your sites run SCCM 2012 SP1
- Uninstall the existing version of Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) 8.0
Note: If you have other servers with the SMS Provider installed, you also need to uninstall Windows ADK 8.0 on these servers
- Install Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK) 8.1 for Windows 8.1
Download Windows ADK 8.1: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39982
- Review the site and hierarchy status.
- Install all critical updates available from Microsoft Updates on all relevant servers.
- Back up the site database.
- Disable all site maintenance tasks that might run during the upgrade.
- Run Setup Prerequisite Checker, to verify that the site server is ready to upgrade.
- Download the prerequisite files and redistributable files for SCCM 2012 R2 by running setupdl.exe.
- Test the database upgrade process on a copy of the most recent site database backup.
More information: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8b6ff5c8-3c84-49fb-8bc7-930bed865de5#BKMK_TestSiteDBUpgrade
- Restart the site server (to ensure that there are no pending restarts).
- Install the SCCM 2012 R2 Upgrade on the Primary Site Server.
- Upgrade the stand-alone Configuration Manager Consoles.
- Reconfigure the database maintenance tasks you might have disabled prior to the upgrade.
- Upgrade clients (use any method you prefer).
Today, I only have upgrade experience from my lab, but when the product is ready for download, and we start to upgrade our customers, I’ll keep updating this post with all the things we learn while upgrading our customers.
- SCCM 2012 R2 supports WS 2012 R2 Update (KB2919355)
- IT Camp: Windows 8.1 in the Enterprise
- SCCM 2012 SP1/R2 – Clients for Additional OS updated
- Deploying Windows 8 to 10.000 students
- CampusDays 2013: PowerPoint Slides
- New built-in Query in SCCM 2012 R2
- Windows Server and System Center 2012 R2 Preview
- What’s coming in SCCM 2012 R2 and Windows Intune