Microsoft Deployment Toolkit
One of the new feature that has been added in ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 (and updated to support 32-bit in CU1), is support for deploying Windows to computers that are configured to use UEFI.
I’m currently working on a Windows 8 deployment project, where one of the requirements was to support Windows 8 deployment to UEFI enabled devices. At this customer, we also integrated MDT 2012 with ConfigMgr 2012.
The configuration was easy, and PXE boot worked like a charm. But after the OS Image was downloaded the Task Sequence failed, and after a few minutes we found the problem.
The standard MDT 2012 Update More >
Jörgen Nilsson, a fellow MVP, wrote a great blog post on how you can use System Center 2012 Orchestrator integration with SCCM 2012 and MDT 2012 Update 1 to send an email if an OS Deployment Task Sequence fails.
Even if this is a very simple example, I think is a great one, that really shows how almost every customer can benefit of System Center Orchestrator.
Read the full post here: http://ccmexec.com/2012/10/configmgr-2012-mdt-2012-update-1-send-e-mail-using-orchestrator/
Microsoft has released MDT 2012 Update 1, and supports now deployment of both Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012.
Some of the key changes in MDT 2012 Update 1 are:
- Added support for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012.
- Support for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager SP1 CTP: Added support in MDT for deploying Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 with Configuration Manager 2012 SP1 CTP, while supporting all new Configuration Manager functionality (offline BitLocker, UEFI, and Assessment and Deployment Kit).
- Support for DaRT 8 Beta: Updated MDT to support DaRT 8 for Windows 8 deployments, More >
Johan Arwidmark has posted a new video on how to troubleshoot a System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Task Sequence Actions using ServiceUI. Very useful when troubleshooting and testing new stuff.
Read the full blog post and see the video here:
Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2012 Update 1 Beta 1 is now available for download! This release expands the deployment capabilities with support for the latest software releases, including Windows 8 Release Preview, Windows Server 2012 Release Candidate, and System Center 2012 Configuration Manager SP1 Community Technology Preview.
New features and enhancements make large-scale desktop and server deployments smoother than ever with new features, such as:
- New support for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager SP1
- Integration with Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset 8 (DaRT) Beta
- New More >
Here’s a list of most of the available sessions about System Center 2012 Configuration Manager, Microsoft Deployment Toolkit and Windows Intune from TechEd Europe 2012 in Amsterdam.
System Center 2012 Configuration Manager:
- System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Overview
- System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection Overview
- System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Deployment and Infrastructure
- Deep Application Management with Microsoft System Center 2012 Configuration Manager
- Plan, Deploy, and Migrate from Configuration Manager 2007 to 2012
- Client Management scenarios in the Windows 8 More >
ConfigMgr 2012 was officially announced at MMS 2012 in Las Vegas earlier today. If you want to start playing around with the product, you should take a look a Johan Arwidmarks updated version of the Hydration Kit to install a virtual test lab (Fully automated). Both VMware and Hyper-V is supported.
Learn more and download the Hydration Kit here:
Friday morning I’m leaving for the Microsoft Management Summit 2012 (MMS) in Las Vegas. This is one of the biggest Management events in world for IT Pro’s. At MMS some of the most skilled IT Professionals from around the world meet to increase their technical expertise through deep hands-on technical training, sharing of best practices and interaction with innovators and pioneers in desktop and device management, datacenter, and cloud technologies.
As a Configuration Manager MVP, I’ve been looking forward to this event for past 3 or 4 years. Later this year all System Center 2012 products More >
The built-in migration tool in System Center 2012 Configuration Manager is a great tool to help you in the process of migrating from Configuration Manager 2007 to System Center 2012 Configuration Manager. It can migrate all your content like packages, drivers, Task Sequences, OS images etc. But if you’ve integrated the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2010 Update 1(MDT) in your current environment, the Task Sequence might have steps that can’t be migrated to the new version.
To migrate an MDT 2010 Task Sequence, you need to integrate MDT 2012 with the ConfigMgr 2012 site. But the wizard can only More >
Want to learn more about deployment from some the top deployment masters?
Johan Arwidmark and Mikael Nystrom (Microsoft MVP’s in Setup & Deployment) will be in Copenhagen on November 23 – 24, presenting the “Unleash the Power of MDT 2010 Lite Touch” class. In just two days you will learn what you need to build a superior deployment solution based on MDT 2010 Update 1.
- 2 days with real information from real world deployment experts
- A workbook packed with guidance and additional material
- Videos of the demos that you can play over and over again